Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Viva Vigan Festival of the Arts : A Colourful Side trip

I had a phone call last April 25, 2011 from my uncle & my auntie about the baptismal of their 3rd daughter last May 7. They chose me as one of the godfathers for the said baptism. But I didn’t realize that was also the way of filing my vacation leave even just for 2 days just to get away from my very hectic schedules at the office and to relax more. I was really very excited then to go back to Vigan City since my last visit back in 2009. One thing more, my mom and another uncle (a Police General) told me that May 4-7 was the Viva Vigan Festival of the Arts. I said, this is the right time for me to escape the hectic and noisy area of ​​Manila. After my work shift, I immediately went to the terminal to reserve a ticket. Fortunately, I was very lucky to ride in a de luxe coach (Thank you Partas Trans. Co.!). 

I had the opportunity to chat with one of my fellow passengers who happens to be my schoolmate in La Salle Manila (She's a college student while I'm a graduate school/masteral student). I don't want to mention her name anymore but she told me, that was her first time to visit Vigan City and see the wonders of that place. I told her, "well, you will be fascinated with the tourist attractions and delicacies of our proud hometown."

Partas Trans. Co., Inc.


After reaching the Vigan City terminal of Partas, my uncle immediately fetched my up to their ancestral house in Diego Silang St. We had our short talk, and also breakfast. I also had a chat with my relatives and some childhood friends. 

I didn't know that May 7 was the main event of the Viva Vigan Festival featuring colorful and spectacular parades, art shows and furniture exhibits. I even ate 4 empanadas (empanada is a delicacy in Ilocos usually contain longanisa, egg, green papaya or mung bean and chopped onion in a rice flour coloured orange with achuete and is deep fried) in their food exhibit located in Plaza Burgos. Street dancing competition was also held in Plaza burgos (in the evening) with matching tiangge sale (flea market or swap meet sale) and furniture expo from difference exporters, distributors and producers.


The week-long celebration is filled with different activities held in the major streets of Vigan City, like, Plaza Burgos, Quezon Avenue, Liberation Boulevard and Calle Crisologo, and Florentino Streets. The festive mood is characterized by Binatbatan street dancing. Other activities during the festival include Calesa parade, carabao festival, games, religious activities like "binyagang bayan", santacruzan, food fairs, fashion shows, and art exhibits.

The Famous Vigan Longganisa (Vigan Sausage)




Even thou it was a very busy day for me to go around the City square and experience how is like to be in Vigan City, I really enjoy the warmth of my fellow Ilocanos. Sometimes, I even speak Ilocano words to them and they told me "we thought you're not from Manila."


Maybe I don't need to post more photos, it's better if you (personally) visit Vigan City and experience it's beauty, the hospitality of Ilocanos and the wonder of our place. Viva Vigan Festival of the Arts happens every first week of May. 


Transportation going to Vigan from Manila & vice versa:
Partas Transportation Co. (Cubao, Quezon City - Vigan, Ilocos Sur)
-De Luxe = Php805.00
-Regular Aircon = P685.00


-Accomodations
*Grandpa's Inn
*Aniceto Mansion Hotel
*Casa Teofila
*Gordion's Inn Bed & Breakfast
*Vigan Heritage Mansion
*Vigan Plaza Hitel
*UNP Guestel

[Many thanks to my Auntie Jhen and my cousin Dennis. Also many thanks to my Uncle Ryan and his wife Auntie Myla, Grandpa Tony & Grandma Pepita and also Uncle Sherwin, Grandpa Romy and Auntie Marie Jean (Barangay captain of Rugsuanan, Vigan City, Ilocos Sur).]

No comments:

Post a Comment